Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Product Review: No Temper Treasure Island

No-Temper Treasure Island

I have been busy playing this game with my kiddos this week. I bought this game from a Marco Products catalog over 5 years ago.  It continues to be one of my go to games to play with kids in counseling. It is a favorite for many of my kids.  It is designed to be an anger management game, but it also addresses coping skills for other issues as well. 

The goal of the game is to collect the most treasure by the end of the game.  This is a nice change from the traditional model of whomever reaches the end first wins.  It creates a new level of competitiveness and strategy.  The kids also enjoy pretending they are getting rich as they play.
Each color of card has a different topic. The red cards are related to empathy, the green cards for impulsivity/locus of control, gold is anger control, white is role play, and blue cards are coping skills.  It incorporates many cognitive behavioral (CBT) concepts within the game, which makes this a top pick for me!  I always look for ways to slip CBT in without getting boring or too difficult.

This game helps children with body awareness, motivation, identifying anxieties, as well as identifying thoughts.  There are cards with systematic relaxation techniques, exercise ideas, and basic coping mechanisms.  It has so many cards that you can play it over and over and learn new skills with the same child.  Not only that, but it was quite affordable at just over $15. 

I am not getting paid one red cent for my review.  I'm just reviewing this product because I like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment